Thursday 14 March 2013

The Luzhin Defense Defence


I got 'The Luhzin Defence' by Vladimir Nabokov out from the library. I had just read 'Lolita' by the same author and enjoyed it very much, and on a whim I thought I'd read another of his works. It was concise and poetic, a lyrical exploration of the complex metaphorical and metaphysical powers of chess. I hope to write a longer post about the book for Pixelled Wheels World of Books. 

As I came to the final page of the afterword by author, John Updike, I discovered this note:



Look at that indignation! It almost seems like a threat. 'Watch out, Updike! Bad move.' Imagine how angry you would have to be to write a note like that and put in a library book, for everyone to see, more so than if you just posted on a Nabokov message board online. 

The afterword that this reader was so enraged by was mostly complimentary - in fact I thought it was a bit over praiseworthy in places - and only slightly critical towards the end, concerning the young Nabokov's weaknesses. I suppose some people get very protective over their heroes.

As it happens, I know who wrote the note, because he wrote it on what was presumably his library ticket. It says he got the book out at 11:03 on 9th August 2011 along with 'True at First Light' and 'Labels: A Mediterranean j…'. I won't reveal his name.


No comments:

Post a Comment